Saturday, February 27, 2010

Belated Valentine’s

Doug and I went out this afternoon for a fun evening away while Amina got to play at Auntie Kerrianne and Uncle Tim’s house.  Doug did some online research and found the best place in Seattle to go for savory crepes and we were looking forward to a yummy French crepe dinner.  When we got there the place was closed – apparently there were only open until 4:00 on Saturdays.  This has Pasta Freskahappened to us before when we’ve driven into Seattle to go somewhere specific to find it closed… those silly city hours!  But it was all for the best tonight I think!  We remembered that cousin Ben had told us about this great Italian place down the street from his apartment that he’d been to a few weeks ago and we decided to try that place instead.  So off to Pasta Freska we went.  As we were out in the town a little early we had to wait for it to open so we walked along lake Union and looked at the yachts, deciding which one we’d choose if we had to pick one to live on ;)  After 20-30 minutes we went back and the restaurant had opened.  I’ve never been anywhere like it! There are no menus – when you arrive the waitress asks you if there is anything you are allergic to or are unwilling to try.  Then they just start brining you food!  Doug requested no seafood so he got a few things that were different than me and I think he missed out!   We started with an appetizer of a squash with tomatoes, spinach, and cheese on top.  Then we had some garlic cheese bread, followed by Caesar salad and delicious spaghetti Bolognese.  After that I had some type of chicken rolled up, filled with spinach and cheese, and covered in a delicious warm sweet vinaigrette sauce while Doug had a manicotti filled with chicken and cheese.   Next was mussels for me and lamb for Doug, a small piece of steak, and yummy fish for me and spinach ravioli for Doug.  And finally we had the most decadent dessert sampler including the best tiramisu I’ve ever tasted, very rich chocolate cake, and a spumoni type  gelato.  Wow this meal was amazing!   Definitely not your typical Italian.  And it was perfect for Doug and I as we take forever to decide what to order for dinner!  We didn’t even have to pick a wine… we just chose red and they brought us a delicious bottle of some kind I’d never heard of.   I loved getting lots of small items so we could have a little of everything.  We’ll have to try the crepe place another time, but as I said before I was not too sad that it was closed this time!  After our 2 1/2 hour dinner we got to go to a game store and play a game of Carcassonne the Castle.  Then we made a quick stop by the TeaCup where we bought some new loose leaf tea which we are now enjoying by our fireplace.  Sounds like a pretty perfect 2 week late Valentine’s date, right?  :)   And Amina had so much fun with Tim and Kerrianne too – they took her out for dinner and fed her noodles, rice, chicken and soup… her favorites ;) Apparently she was asking to go back to auntie’s house the whole way home (as they brought her home to put her to bed for us).  I’m sure she’ll be asking to go back to Auntie’s house all week!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

this sounded incredible! yUmMy!!!!! :), sgm

Post a Comment

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates